If you’ve ever been on social media, chances are you’ve seen someone upload a video of their own screen. It’s a practical skill to learn: Whether you want to create a tutorial for a loved one, capture a scene from a YouTube movie, record a video game footage, or create a video for TikTok or Instagram, you’ll need to know how to record the screen of your video. your iPhone.
While that process may sound complicated, it’s actually easier than it sounds. It doesn’t matter which iPhone you have, you should be able to record the screen on any model, as well as other Apple products like the iPad or iPod touch. All it takes is a few minutes and a basic understanding of your iPhone.
At WhistleOut we are committed to simplifying the sometimes confusing world of technology. In this guide, you will learn everything you need to know.
Read below to learn more about how to record screen on your iPhone.
Step-by-step instructions to record your iPhone screen
Follow these instructions to learn how to record screen on an iPhone:
- Select “Settings” on your home screen.
- Then scroll down and select “Control center.”
- Click the green plus sign next to “Screen recording” to add it to your included controls, giving you the ability to screen record.
- If you have the iPhone X or later, swipe down from the top right corner to access your Control Center and click the gray “Record” button at the bottom of the screen.
- If you have iPhone 8, SE, or earlier, swipe up from the bottom of the screen, then click the “Record” button.
- There will be a three second countdown before recording your iPhone screen.
- Exit Control Center and start your recording.
- Go back to Control Center and press the red button “Record” button to end the recording.
However, please note that these instructions will only allow you to record the screen on an iPhone without audio. If you want to record audio, see the step-by-step instructions below.
How to Record Screen on iPhone with Audio
If you want to record audio, such as yourself speaking, while recording your iPhone screen, please do the following before you start recording:
- Hold down the button “Record” button for several seconds.
- A screen that says “Screen recording” it should appear with a list of apps below it.
- Below that popup screen, you will see a microphone symbol that says “Microphone off.”
- Click on the microphone symbol to activate the audio recording capabilities.
- Now, you can start recording your iPhone screen.
- If you want to turn off the audio, press and hold “Record” again and click the Microphone button again to turn it off.
This option is great if you want to narrate a video, such as providing context for a gameplay scene or turning a video into a meme.
Where can I find the videos I screen recorded on my iPhone?
The videos you screen record on your iPhone are saved to your Photos app, which is the same as any other video or picture you take. You can find them in the main album as well as in your videos folder.
How do I edit a screen recording on my iPhone?
Once you capture a screen recording on your iPhone, you may want to edit it to cut off the beginning or end or add filters. You can do this by opening your Camera Roll and selecting your screen recording. Click “Edit” in the upper right corner. From there, you can access your iPhone’s video editing tool, which allows you to:
- trim the video
- Play with video filters
- Crop the video screen
Once you’re satisfied with your edited video, click “Done” after “Save as new clip” so you don’t lose the original version.
How do I send screen recordings to people?
You submit your screen-recorded video the same way you would submit any other video or image. Select it, hit the arrow at the bottom left of the screen, then choose who you’d like to send your screen recording to. It will take you to your messages screen with them, where you will press the blue arrow on the right side of the screen.
How is a screen recording different from a screenshot?
A screenshot takes a photo of whatever page you’re currently viewing on your iPhone. You might want to do this to save information for later, store text messages, or remind yourself to read or buy something later, especially if you’re on the go.
On the other hand, a screen recording is not an image, it is a video. Record a video of whatever you’re currently viewing on your iPhone, whether it’s a web page, an app, another video, a text conversation, and more.
Reasons why you may want to record your screen
Let’s face it, we use our iPhone like miniature computers, doing everything from work and school to playing video games to watching TV and movies. We compare products, shop for new and used items, and communicate with our loved ones on countless platforms, sometimes at the same time.
Some reasons why you may want to screen record on your iPhone include:
- Capture a clip of a funny YouTube video for a friend so they don’t have to watch it all
- Record yourself playing a video game to share it with other players
- Capture a short scene from a movie or TV show you’re watching on your phone
- Create a tutorial to remotely teach someone how to use their iPhone
- Capture a bug on your device to send to support services
Regardless of your needs, screen recording on an iPhone is quick and easy. Even if you’ve never done it before, you’ll be creating videos in no time. If you’re ready for an iPhone upgrade, check out our updated list of the best iPhone deals in Canada or take a look at the new iPhone 14 prices below.