The Chinese telecommunications giant Huawei presented the pocket S, a budget flip phone with a flip cover, on Wednesday in China. The phone has a lower price range compared to other flip phones, priced between RMB 5,988 to RMB 7,488 ($819 to $1,025).
Why it matters: Huawei has so far dominated the foldable phone market in China. The new Pocket S further lowers the price of entry for a flip phone, making it a strong rival to the Samsung Z Flip series.
- Huawei is also looking to appeal to a broader audience with the product, and some phone cases have been specifically designed to appeal to female users, whose tight clothing may not have enough pocket space to hold a traditional smartphone.
- Liu added that the previously launched Huawei Pocket P50 is the model with the best sales of 510,000 units in the first three quarters in China. The launch of the Pocket S further reduced the entry of foldable phones, and expected a larger market share from flip-style folding phones.
Details: The Huawei Pocket S is a cheaper version of the Pocket P50, sharing a similar core experience but compromising on key specs like the processor and cameras.
- The phone is equipped with a 6.9-inch OLED screen and its body measures 87.3 x 75.5 x 15.2mm when folded (half of a normal smartphone) and 170 x 75.5 x 7.2mm when unfolded. The main display has a 21:9 ratio, with a 120Hz refresh rate.
- It also has a mini screen on the cover next to the cameras to display essential information, which is 1.04 inches. Its resolution is 340 x 340 pixels with a 328 PPI.
- Huawei adopted a new hinge design for the phone, which is firmer and more durable, and has more than 400,000 folds.
- It has a 4,000mAh battery and supports 40W fast charging. Huawei claims that the phone can be charged to 52% in 20 minutes.
- Unlike the Pocket P50, the model has a dual-camera design and comes with a new RYYB (Red, Yellow, Yellow, Blue) sensor, like the Mate 50 series. With the new sensor, the camera can receive 40% more of light, according to Huawei.
- The processor is a big compromise as the Pocket S is powered by a mid-range Qualcomm 778G 4G chipset. Huawei applied a new cooling technology made of flexible graphene material to get more performance from the processor.
- The Pocket S comes with a fingerprint sensor on the power button for biometric authentication.
- The phone is available in four colors and three storage volume options: 128 GB, 256 GB and 512 GB. All versions have 8 GB of RAM. The first two storage options will be available starting November 10, with the 512GB version launching in December.
Context: Foldable phone shipments in China saw a strong 246% year-over-year increase in the third quarter of 2022 to 1 million units. Huawei is the leading supplier of foldable phones in China and shipped 44.9% (in Chinese) of units in the country in the third quarter of 2022, according to IDC.
- During the first half of this year, Huawei accounted for 16% of the foldable phone market globally. Samsung led the global market with a 62% share, according to Counterpoint Research.
- Compared to those with larger screens, flip-style folding phones have smaller volume and weight and are aimed at users who prefer smaller phones or want an affordable flip phone, Louis Liu, an analyst at CINNO Research, told TechNode. .